[dnsdist] dnsdist ubuntu

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Tue Mar 14 14:00:10 UTC 2017

Hi Etienne,

On 03/14/2017 10:50 AM, Etienne Vella wrote:
> When I check with netstat port 53 is being utilised by dnsdist

Right, Ubuntu starts it by default once it's installed, IIRC.

> Also i tried using the command dnsdist --client command and
>
> root at dnsdist:~# dnsdist --client
> Unable to read configuration from '/etc/dnsdist/dnsdist.conf'
> Connecting to 127.0.0.1:5199 <http://127.0.0.1:5199>
> Fatal error: connecting socket to 127.0.0.1:5199
> <http://127.0.0.1:5199>: Connection refused

You need to enable console access by adding the following lines to
/etc/dnsdist/dnsdist.conf and restarting dnsdist:

controlSocket("127.0.0.1")
setKey("sepuCcHcQnSAZgNbNPCCpDWbujZ5esZJmrt/wh6ldkQ=")

Please change the key (you can generate a new one using makeKey() from
dnsdist's console once it works), especially if you plan on enabling
remote access to the console.