[dnsdist] Only see question events being logged via protobuf, no response ?

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Thu Jun 1 08:49:30 UTC 2017

Hi Scott,

On 06/01/2017 10:31 AM, scott McGillivray wrote:
> rl = newRemoteLogger('127.0.0.1:2222')
> addAction(AllRule(), RemoteLogAction(rl))
> addResponseAction(AllRule(), RemoteLogResponseAction(rl, nil, true))
>
> But i only seem to be getting question events, no response events.

This exact configuration works fine for me on master. How are you
testing exactly? Keep in mind that Response Actions are not executed on
a cache hit, you'll want to use addCacheHitResponseAction() for that.

> still trying to figure out where my protobuf is failing... can someone
> help by telling me how i can use DNSProtoBufMessage::toDebugString()  to
> see the pretty printed event before it's serialized and sent ?

The only places where you have access to a DNSProtoBufMessage object are
the alteration functions passed to RemoteLogAction() and
RemoteLogResponseAction():

function alterPB(dq, pb)
  print(pb:toDebugString())
end

rl = newRemoteLogger('127.0.0.1:2222')
addAction(AllRule(), RemoteLogAction(rl, alterPB))
addResponseAction(AllRule(), RemoteLogResponseAction(rl, alterPB, true))