[dnsdist] Clarification on weight in newServer option

Theodore Baschak theodore at ciscodude.net
Fri Jul 28 15:48:54 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 4:13 AM, Frank Even <lists+powerdns.com at elitists.org
> wrote:

> SO, if I understand correctly, if I want the weight variable to have
> any meaning at all, I need to change the load balancing algorithm,
> correct?
>
> What policy would be best suited to using weights?  Is that efficient?
>  Or should I just keep it like this, remove weights, and deploy an
> ordered policy?
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Frank

This may be slightly orthogonal to the thread's direction, but it isn't too
hard to write your own custom load balancing policy either. There was some
activity on the list in 2017-01 about this:
https://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/dnsdist/2017-January/thread.html

Out of that, Chris wrote a "orderedLeastOutstanding.lua" custom load
balancing policy.
https://github.com/sysadminblog/dnsdist-configs/blob/master/orderedLeastOutstanding.lua

I forked that and modified it and made an "orderedwrandom.lua" custom load
balancing policy:
https://github.com/tbaschak/dnsdist-configs/blob/master/orderedwrandom.lua

Theodore Baschak - AS395089 - Hextet Systems
https://bgp.guru/ - https://hextet.net/
http://mbix.ca/ - http://mbnog.ca/