[dnsdist] Clarification on weight in newServer option

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Fri Jul 28 09:04:37 UTC 2017

On 07/28/2017 10:30 AM, Frank Even wrote:
>> That's not expected, especially since we keep no state to do the
>> load-balancing. Which policy are you using, wrandom or whashed?
>
> Whatever is default.  Is whashed default?  Here's my config (minus the
> ACLs and setKey), it was simple for testing:

OK, so the default load-balancing policy is leastOutstanding, sending
queries to the server with the least outstanding queries, then the
lowest order if there is a tie and finally the lowest latency. This
policy doesn't use the weight at all, so it explains why your results
were not conclusive.

Ideally we should implement a weighted consistent hashing policy to deal
with use cases such as yours. Willy Tarreau suggested it a few months
ago and was kind enough to explain to me how it's done in HAProxy, but I
haven't found the time to seriously look into it yet.