[dnsdist] Manage dnsdist with ansible

Alejandro Adroher Mellado alejandro.adroher at omniaccess.com
Thu Aug 3 15:21:16 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

I have managed to make an ansible playbook to deploy remotely my pdns-recursors and dnsdist instances, configuring both of them letting everything up and working. Your documentation has helped me a lot so thank you all for your efforts.

Now I'm planning the next steps on our DNS project, what I want to get is the ability to manage N remotely dnsdist servers from ansible. You know, add and remove rules, collect statistics .. basically the ability to interact with all those remote consoles.

I'm working with dnsdist 1.1.0-1pdns.trusty on all my remotes.

The first basic thing, is this possible?
There is any kind of documentation about this? I didn't find it. Not sure about if this must be made through API or through controlsocket.

I know how to get JSON data about the current config using API, but nothing in how to modify a dnsdist instance remotelly.

I will really appreciate any kind of help.

Alejandro Adroher.