[dnsdist] why do I have to add an \0x13 to the DNS name when using the expungeByName cache command?

Seth Orstein sornstein at globalcyberalliance.org
Wed Apr 5 23:49:38 UTC 2017

I find that to use the expungeByName cache command in dnsdist I have to end
the name with \013,  why is this?

An example that works would be:

getPool("mainpool"):getCache():expungeByName(newDNSName("google.com\013"))

If I leave out the ending \013 in the DNS name, like so:

getPool("mainpool"):getCache():expungeByName(newDNSName("google.com"))

 the entry is not deleted from the cache.

The entry in the dnsdist cache was loaded by running the following dig
command:

dig @127.0.0.1 -p 5200 +nocookie google.com

Thanks,

Seth