[dnsdist] Keep Client IP across dnsdist and PDNSRecursor

Alejandro Adroher Mellado alejandro.adroher at omniaccess.com
Wed May 4 10:43:41 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm doing various researches in the last few days trying to find a way which let me pass the client query across dnsdist and pdns-recursor without losing the client source ip.  I have dnsdist and recursor working on same server. (newest versions of dnsdist v 1.0.0 and recursor 4.0)

The most clean example is when someone queries for a domain, dnsdist send the query to the recursor, the recursor gets a SERVFAIL and get back to the dnsdist something like.

Sending SERVFAIL to 127.0.0.1 during resolve of '58cl.com.' because: Too much time waiting for 58cl.com.|A, timeouts: 5, throttles: 0, queries: 7, 7898msec

It has sense because dnsdist is not sending customer source ip to the recursor... but, there must be a way. I've tried adding to dnsdist "useClientSubnet=true" but is not enough.

Anyone have a better idea?

Thanks a lot.

Alejandro.