[dnsdist] dnsdist - secondary server in "hot standby" mode

Federico Olivieri lvrfrc87 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 10:37:10 UTC 2016

Good morning everybody,

I would like to understand if there is any way to configure a rule that put
a DNS server in "hot standby" mode. I'll give you an example:

I have 2 or more DNS servers configured in dnsdist. I want forward all
queries to the primary server and only if the primary server goes down,
redirect the traffic to the second one. Borrowing the terms from HSRP, I
would put a secondary server in hot stand-by and use it only in case of
fault of the primary.
I know that I can play with the weight and wrandom policy but I was
wondering if there is a more specified rule for what I'm looking for

Thank You

Regards,

Federico