[dnsdist] dnsdist for ubuntu 14 lts

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Wed Oct 14 20:01:04 UTC 2015

Hello Martin,

I'm cc'ing the mailing list, please try to keep the conversation there
(for archive purposes).

On 10/14/2015 09:51 PM, Martin Kyrc wrote:
> I'd like ask you, if it's recommended to use this package in production
> (because at the begining of the page is big WARRNING).
>
> I really like dnsdist, because I think, no other similar possibility
> exists (maybe commercial solutions). But unfornately, documentation
> (only small introduction and sample config) is not very useful.

dnsdist will be a fully supported product with supported packages in the
future (the planning is "near the end of this year").

You can run this software (from the package) in production and we will
support you as much as we can. But we don't consider the software of a
stable quality yet.

When the release time comes, there will be more documentation.

> Last question, what is recommended to start/stop/restart dnsdist (in
> debian-like distros)? No preddefined 'init.d' script exists.

As we've included an upstart (the init-system used in Ubuntu 14.04)
config, you can use the 'service' command. e.g. 'service dnsdist
restart'. If you need to change the command-line options, you can edit
the /etc/init/dnsdist.conf file.

Best regards,

Pieter

--