[Pdns-users] AXFR chunk error: Server Not Authoritative for zone / Not Authorized

a b tripivceta at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 21 19:21:31 UTC 2015

> META_TYPE = 'ALLOW-AXFR-FROM'
> META_IND = order number (used for ordering)
> META_CONTENT = 'netmask'
>
> you can have multiple ALLOW-AXFR-FROM keys for multiple networks.

Just to report back: works as written above. Introduced in commit
https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/commit/c574336

Apparently the semantics did change, under "Other Changes", between pdns_server 3.3.1 and 3.4.0-RC1:
"The AXFR ACL (allow-axfr-ips) now defaults to 127.0.0.0/8,::1 instead of the whole world."

Since I went straight from 3.1 to 3.4.6, my legs got blown off by this land mine.
The lesson I learned here is to carefully read through each and every change before upgrading.

Some time ago, I remember solicitations for new features in 4.#. My suggestion after this experience
would be to start considering forward and backward compatibility, in such a way that new features do not
break existing semantics.