[Pdns-users] Recursor users: root-zone problems [bortzmeyer at nic.fr: [dns-operations] Storm on the DNS]

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Mon Nov 30 10:00:14 UTC 2015

Hi everybody,

Just as a heads up for PowerDNS Recursor users, it is being reported that
the root-servers are having problems. The Recursor will shift to alternate
servers, but performance may be impacted for everyone, since we'll be using
slower servers and possibly over TCP/IP instead of UDP.

As an alternative, the PowerDNS Recursor can run with a local copy of the
root, like this:

auth-zones=.=root.zone

To get the root-zone, either do:

dig -t axfr . @f.root-servers.net > root.zone

Or download it from http://www.internic.net/domain/root.zone

Be sure to only do this either temporarily, or automate the downloading of
new root.zone files!

Good luck!

PS: If you want to get realtime insight into your Recursor's performance,
ponder setting up graphing or use our 'graphing as a service' as described
on http://blog.powerdns.com/2014/12/11/powerdns-graphing-as-a-service/
(free).

	Bert

----- Forwarded message from Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> -----