[Pdns-users] PDNS for a TLD...

Rob roblocke at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 17:03:12 UTC 2014

Hi,

We are rebuilding the registrar for a TLD which we fully control (let's call
it .foo) and are looking at using PowerDNS.  I have a couple of questions,
some of which may not be specific to PowerDNS, but I hope the group doesn't
mind if I ask them anyways:

1) I'm assuming every domain (eg, somedomain.foo) will require an SOA
record.  Is it required that the TLD (ie, "foo") also have an SOA record?

2) Assuming the the owner of "somedomain.foo" chooses to use their own
(custom) nameservers, and a request is made for, say, the A record of
"www.somedomain.foo", how is our nameserver expected to respond?  Should it
reply with the custom NS records?  Or, in the course of resolving
"www.somedomain.foo", will there somehow be a request for the NS records of
"somedomain.foo"?  If PowerDNS is expected to respond with the custom
nameservers for an A record it doesn't know about, how do I setup PDNS to do
that?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Rob