[Pdns-users] Upgrading PDNS from 2.9 to 3.0- STL error: Creating local resolver socket for ::: Address family not supported by protocol

Peter Gervai grinapo+pdnsdevel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 09:13:00 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 18:09, bert hubert <bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl> wrote:

> doesn't have it.  These days we default to using IPv6 for talking to remotes
> if they have IPv6 addresses, unsure if we should change this behavior.

That's a tough one since in many instances the machine have ipv6 stack
loaded by default but missing connectivity (link local only).

I guess handling "address family not supported" would be a good idea
instead of bailing out (or at least to accommodate with a more verbose
instruction about what happens and what should happen to prevent it),
but if ipv6 stack is available... you cannot really pick a good
choice. Maybe you can check whether 100 out of 100 requests failing on
ipv6 and warn the user to disable it.

peter