[Pdns-users] Few query about PDNS

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Mon Dec 17 11:59:30 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Dec 17, 2012, at 12:39 , Marc Haber wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 10:17:59AM +0530, Manish Rane wrote:
>> By the way PDNS Development Team can think of such feature and probably
>> include in upcoming release? That would make the product more versatile and
>> complete.
>
> In my opinion, this does not belong into a DNS server. PowerDNS has
> versatile backends and flexible interfaces to avoid bloat in PowerDNS
> itself.

Well said.

If this were to happen 'inside' of PowerDNS, it would happen in a backend written
for this purpose.

However, as the original poster and at least one reply have pointed out, there
are several ways to make this happen without changing PowerDNS:
1) a pipebackend or remotebackend script that decides what A to respond based
on some external state (from Nagios perhaps).
2) a script that updates your MySQL database based on said external state.

We don't have scripts for either 1) or 2) ready, but some other people might.
Such scripts are not hard to write.

One pointer: make sure to disable or lower the default cache timeouts in PowerDNS
if you want quick fail overs.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk