[Pdns-users] 4th level names and SOA records

Grant Keller gkeller at corp.sonic.net
Thu Jul 14 18:48:53 UTC 2011

Hello all,

So we provide delegation for san-francisco.ca.us. We have one users
domain (gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us) with a zone file consisting of:

gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us.        IN      NS      ns1.he.net.
gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us.        IN      NS      ns2.he.net.
gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us.        IN      NS      ns3.he.net.
gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us.        IN      NS      ns4.he.net.
gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us.        IN      NS      ns5.he.net.

At the HE servers, they have ns1.he.net. set as the soa, however, soa
queries to anything other than one of the HE servers report the soa for
san-francisco.ca.us. i.e.:
dig soa gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
san-francisco.ca.us.	259200	IN	SOA	ns1.sonic.net. hostmaster.sonic.net.
2011061002 3600 300 1209600 3600

and
dig soa gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us. @ns5.he.net

;; ANSWER SECTION:
gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us. 86400 IN SOA	ns1.he.net.
hostmaster.gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us. 2011070500 10800 3600 604800
86400

It appears that we since we are responding with the aa bit for
san-francisco.ca.us. We end up responding as Authority, and the soa
query stops at us, rather then moving on to the nameservers for the
domain in question. I was hoping there is a way we can fix this and have
the query continue to the authoritative name server. Thank you in
advance for any advice.

--
Grant Keller