[Pdns-users] Documentation on populating backend database tables

Maik Zumstrull maik at zumstrull.net
Sun Apr 24 22:30:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 00:22, Sebastian Tennant <sebyte at smolny.plus.com> wrote:

> One quick question (as the domains/zones table is undocumented) what should the
> value of the domains.type column be?  My guess is 'IN'.

No, it should be one of 'NATIVE', 'MASTER', 'SLAVE'. PowerDNS will
just serve a native zone. For a master zone, it additionally sends
NOTIFY packets whenever the zone is updated. For a slave zone, it will
periodically attempt to refresh the zone data from a master server.
(Unless master and/or slave mode has been specifically enabled in the
config file, these just fall back to native mode.)

>> A SOA record is required, or PowerDNS will not answer correctly for
>> non-existent records.
>
> It affects non-existent records... I see...  interesting.

Asked for a record that doesn't exist, PowerDNS can answer either "I
don't know anything about this" or "I'm responsible for that zone, and
I'm sure this name doesn't exist". The SOA record decides which.
Unfortunately, PowerDNS' behavior is not entirely correct even with
the SOA record (known issue, somewhat difficult to fix, shouldn't
matter in practice).