[Pdns-users] Additional records

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Thu Dec 9 02:36:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 04:30:35PM -0700, Pete Stapley wrote:
> When I query the SOA record for a domain from a bind server I receive this.
>
> > set type=SOA
> > yahoo.com
> Server:         ns.domain1.com
> Address:        1.2.3.4#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> yahoo.com
>         origin = ns1.yahoo.com
>         mail addr = hostmaster.yahoo-inc.com
>         serial = 2010120812
>         refresh = 3600
>         retry = 300
>         expire = 1814400
>         minimum = 600
>
> Authoritative answers can be found from:
> yahoo.com       nameserver = ns5.yahoo.com.
> yahoo.com       nameserver = ns8.yahoo.com.
> yahoo.com       nameserver = ns2.yahoo.com.
> yahoo.com       nameserver = ns1.yahoo.com.
> yahoo.com       nameserver = ns6.yahoo.com.
> yahoo.com       nameserver = ns4.yahoo.com.
> yahoo.com       nameserver = ns3.yahoo.com.
> ns1.yahoo.com   internet address = 68.180.131.16
> ns2.yahoo.com   internet address = 68.142.255.16
> ns3.yahoo.com   internet address = 121.101.152.99
> ns4.yahoo.com   internet address = 68.142.196.63
> ns5.yahoo.com   internet address = 119.160.247.124
> ns6.yahoo.com   internet address = 202.43.223.170
> ns8.yahoo.com   internet address = 202.165.104.22
>
> When I query a powerdns server I receive this.
>
> > yahoo.com
> Server:         ns.domain2.com
> Address:        2.3.4.5#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> yahoo.com
>         origin = ns1.yahoo.com
>         mail addr = hostmaster.yahoo-inc.com
>         serial = 2010120812
>         refresh = 3600
>         retry = 300
>         expire = 1814400
>         minimum = 600
>
> Authoritative answers can be found from:
>
> Is there a way to configure powerdns to return the extra records? I think I
> may be missing something. Thanks!

That does not really make much sense with regards to SOA records. If you look
up NS records you will see that it returns the needed additional information.
If you can show a performance problem resulting from that missing extra
information, it might be worth adding them in. Currently, that extra information
is not returned. I actually logged a bug for this issue with regards to MX
records, I think. In that case, the performance with PDNS was dramatically
slower than AD DNS which returned some additional information in the MX query.
PDNS now returns that information and its performance is great. I think if
you have an actual problem caused by that missing additional information,
you will have the best chance of having it included in a future release.

Cheers,
Ken