[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Recursor RRD & Cacti

Josh Berry jberry at plus.net
Thu Apr 29 12:55:02 UTC 2010

> Is there a way to get these graphs into cacti so we can go back and view historical data?

Yes, providing you know enough about cacti to mess about creating templates and such.

We do this by running snmpd on the dns server, with this in the configuration file:
 # PDNS STATS
 extend pdns-rec /local/services/pDnsStats/pDnsRecStats.sh

The script is simple and can be adapted to the data you actually want (note i've cut off some of the data to make it readable). I am using sudo because snmpd does not have access to the rec_control command, you could probably do it a different way.

#!/bin/bash
 /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/rec_control get questions cache-hits cache-misses concurrent-queries resource-limits unauthorized-tcp unauthorized-udp etc

You should then find that you can get the required statistic using these MIB:

NET-SNMP-EXTEND-MIB::nsExtendOutLine."pdns-rec".1    = questions
NET-SNMP-EXTEND-MIB::nsExtendOutLine."pdns-rec".2    = cache-hits
etc

>From this you can create data templates, and from those graph templates. There may be some knocking about on the internet but whether they have been updated to take the packet cache into account is another matter.

Josh