[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Recursor Lua scripting

Chet Nichols III chet.nichols at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 03:48:45 UTC 2008

oh nice.. i'll have to check that out. some guy in-house ended up
implementing domain redirection in pdns for a project we were doing (sorry
my company never ended up contacting you re: paid work. after i realized
they were nothing but talk, i told them i wont be the middle-man anymore,
because that sucks for you and makes me look like a pooper).

in any case, i'd prefer to not have the one-off version for our own
implementation, and this looks like it might be the answer, so, great work,
and thanks a lot for taking the time to get that working!

ive been starting to use pdns more and more for my own outside stuff
(recursion and authoritative), and it totally rocks.

take care

chet

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM, bert hubert <bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl>
wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Over the past week, together with a number of PowerDNS users and Lua
> experts, I've added support for scripting the PowerDNS Recursor to do
> interesting things.
>
> >From the provisional 3.1.7 release notes:
>
>  This version contains powerful scripting abilities, allowing operators to
>  modify DNS responses in many interesting ways. Among other things, these
>  abilities can be used to filter out malware domains, to perform load
>  balancing, to comply with legal and other requirements and finally, to
>  implement 'NXDOMAIN' redirection.
>
>  It is hoped that the addition of Lua scripting will enable responsible DNS
>  modification for those that need it.
>
> An example script can be found on:
>
> http://wiki.powerdns.com/cgi-bin/trac.fcgi/browser/trunk/pdns/pdns/powerdns-example-script.lua
>
> Documentation is in:
> http://doc.powerdns.com/recursor-scripting.html
>
> A version of the sources that contains the Lua scripting abilities can be
> found on http://svn.powerdns.com/snapshots/pdns-recursor-3.1.7-rc1.tar.bz2
> Please read the README for compilation instructions.
>
> So far people have been very excited by this ability, please let us know
> what you think of it!
>
>        Bert
>
> --
> http://www.PowerDNS.com      Open source, database driven DNS Software