[Pdns-users] Desaster recovery of primary nameserver

Jeroen Wunnink jeroen at easyhosting.nl
Wed Dec 10 08:33:48 UTC 2008

Just a small idea (untested):

Change the zones on the secondary nameserver to type master, make the
former master a clean and freshly installed slave and add the other
nameserver as a supermaster in the supermasters table on the new slave..

Now do a pdns_control notify on all domains with something like this in
the shell:

mysql -updns -ppassword pdns -e 'select name from domains' -N | awk
'{print $1}' | while read i ; do pdns_control notify $i ; echo notified
$i ; sleep 1 ; done

This will do a notify to all nameservers with a 1 second interval, if
the zone doesn't exist it will transfer it, and except for the MBOX, URL
and CURL records you should be able to do a  near full recovery.