[Pdns-users] Select of orphaned records with domainname

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Fri Jul 20 14:10:20 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 04:02:52PM +0200, Christian Kuehn wrote:

> You can see, that there is only ONE A-record.
>
> Looking into the database I found the a.m. 7 records in the 'records'-table,
> refering to the actual domain-table-record.
>
> Searching for the suspect addition record, I found 4 old records in the
> records-table, without any corresponding record in the domain-table.
> But, the records contains the domainname 'nicole.de' and the pdns select them
> both, means the A-record with corresponding domain-record and the orphaned A-record.
>
> The axfr works correkt, just the query for a single record is wrong.
>

> OK, the database should be more clean, without any orphaned records int the
> records-table (using the constraint ON DELETE CASCADE...)
>
> But, the pdns should not look for any orphaned records in the records-table!
>

> Cheers
> Christian

Christian,

PDNS assumes that the database contains authoritative and correct
information at all times. It is probably work setting some integrity
constraints on your database to prevent this problem in the future.
If you wish, you could also adjust the queries that are used by pdns
to do some more validation. Of course, then all lookups take the
validation/check processing hit and not just the data entry process.
Good luck with tightening up your data management process.

Ken