[Pdns-users] recursor required or not?

RafaƂ Kupka rkupka+Listy.PDNS at pronet.com.pl
Sun Aug 5 09:14:27 UTC 2007

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 11:01:40PM +0200, bert hubert wrote:
Hello,

> You only need a recursor if you have computers that want to use your IP
> address to gain information about domains that are not yours.
>
> So unless there are unix computers with the ip address of your nameservers
> in /etc/resolv.conf, or there are windows or apple machines configured to
> use your IP address as their resolver, you don't need a recursor.

I have question about that. There is record:
cf.bankpracy.eu         3600    IN      CNAME   m2m.money.pl

Server is authoritative for bankpracy.eu but not for money.pl.

1) Query without recursor in pdns.conf:

ns1:~# host -v cf.bankpracy.eu ns1
Server: ns1.asgard.pronet.com.pl
Address: 172.30.0.5
Aliases: ns1

Query about cf.bankpracy.eu for record types A
Trying cf.bankpracy.eu ...
Query failed, 1 answer, status: server failure
The following answer is not authoritative:
cf.bankpracy.eu         3600    IN      CNAME   m2m.money.pl
Trying m2m.money.pl ...
Query failed, 0 answers, status: server failure
m2m.money.pl A record not found at ns1.asgard.pronet.com.pl, server failure

Log entry:
Not authoritative for 'm2m.money.pl', sending servfail to 172.30.0.5
(recursion was desired)

2) With recursor (first time):
ns1:~# host -v cf.bankpracy.eu ns2
Server: ns2.asgard.pronet.com.pl
Address: 172.30.0.132

Query about cf.bankpracy.eu for record types A
Trying cf.bankpracy.eu ...
Query failed, 1 answer, status: server failure
The following answer is not authoritative:
cf.bankpracy.eu         3600    IN      CNAME   m2m.money.pl
Trying m2m.money.pl ...
Query done, 1 answer, status: no error
The following answer is not authoritative:
m2m.money.pl            100     IN      A       193.109.91.80

3) following queries returns:
ns1:~# host -v cf.bankpracy.eu ns2
Server: ns2.asgard.pronet.com.pl
Address: 172.30.0.132

Query about cf.bankpracy.eu for record types A
Trying cf.bankpracy.eu ...
Query done, 2 answers, status: no error
The following answer is not authoritative:
cf.bankpracy.eu         3582    IN      CNAME   m2m.money.pl
m2m.money.pl            82      IN      A       193.109.91.80
Trying m2m.money.pl ...
Query done, 1 answer, status: no error
The following answer is not authoritative:
m2m.money.pl            82      IN      A       193.109.91.80

Which answers are correct?

Kupson