[Pdns-users] INT field overflow in records table on mysql?

Justin Hammond justin at dynam.ac
Tue Apr 3 11:55:41 UTC 2007

Hi,
I just finished diagnosing why all of a sudden my PDNS slave server
stoped doing zone transfers. Below I had the following error message
in the pdns logfile:
Apr  3 19:46:25 nurgle pdns[8104]: Communicator thread died because
of error: Failed to execute mysql_query, perhaps connection died?
Err=1: Duplicate entry '2147483647' for key 1
Apr  3 19:46:25 nurgle pdns[8104]: Communicator thread died because
of error: Failed to execute mysql_query, perhaps connection died?
Err=1: Duplicate entry '2147483647' for key 1

Unfortuantly, it seems that mysql isn't exactly descriptive enough. I
could not find that key in the ID file of any records. In fact, there
was no records that was "as big" as this entry at all. It turned out
to be that I guess we were hitting a overflow in the ID field for
records. Changing the ID field to "BIGINT" fixed the problem. I'm not
sure what the upper bounds of INT on mysql are but you might want to
update the SQL create table script?

(btw, this is PDNS 2.9.20)

Thanks

Justin