[Pdns-users] Attempting to use single pipe-backend process

Chris Foote chris at inetd.com.au
Fri Oct 20 23:17:46 UTC 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, bert hubert wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 09:44:43PM +0930, Chris Foote wrote:
>> I have a problem with getting PowerDNS to only use a single instance
>> of a pipe-backend process - it always runs a second copy after PowerDNS
>> gets its first DNS query:
>
> Indeed. PowerDNS makes no promises it will use exactly one. Do you really
> need that?

I definitely do, as my backend program has to use a large in-memory
database (> 1GB) for a very dynamic ENUM application.

I have an idea: if PowerDNS knows that a pipe-backend process is already
running, could the pipe-backend module be modified to provide an argument
in the HELO string to the process ?   e.g. something like:

 	HELO	1	2
instead of:
 	HELO	1

where the '2' argument above is the number of processes that the backend
thinks is running.

If that doesn't sound plausible, then can PowerDNS guarantee that
a single custom backend module runs ?

Best regards,
Chris