[Pdns-users] DNS Replication

Duane duane at e164.org
Tue May 9 12:38:58 UTC 2006

Nico van Royen wrote:

> Our concern is that we expect 5000 dns changes per second (possible more in the future).
> The DNS servers are supposed to be authorative for an entire .tld as well as recursive.
> meaning that each dns server should query its (slave) sql server for all queries (and recurse when needed) while the (slave) sql server should also be synced to the master database.
>
> Replicating the master SQL database to over 10 slave sql servers would lead to quite some overhead in our expectations.

We had non-technical issues with replicating SQL so we opt'd to do an
SQL dump on the primary server and then have a patch/diff system in
place and then bzip the base file + patch then recombine it at the other
end.

We aren't actually using PDNS for slaves, but it works just fine for us
for the master...

--

Best regards,
  Duane

http://e164.org - Because e164.arpa is a tax on VoIP

"In the long run the pessimist may be proved right,
     but the optimist has a better time on the trip."