[Pdns-users] Problem with pdns_recursor 3.1 and Java Jabberserver Wildfire

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Jun 23 14:45:42 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 04:13:20PM +0200, Daniel Nauck wrote:
> It does not work if wildfire ask a second time, always rcode=-1.
> If i ask on the shell with dig it works every time.

Turns out wildfire asks questions of type ANY and *class* ANY as well. This
is defined in RFC 1035, paragraph 3.2.5, which I had sort of not read I
think :-)

Fixed in http://wiki.powerdns.com/projects/trac/changeset/859

To apply, read http://wiki.powerdns.com/projects/trac/wiki/HACKING

Thanks for supplying a tcpdump of the problem, Daniel! That showed the
problem quickly enough.

You can test with dig as well:

dig -t ANY -c ANY ds9a.nl @your-recursor

Will fail on 3.1.2-rc1.

I'm not aware of any other program doing ANY class queries though.

Good luck!