[Pdns-users] Is it possible to un-resolve a domain?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Mon Aug 21 16:47:46 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 02:42:30AM +1000, Richard McLean wrote:
> Not sure if this is a wacky idea or not, but I was wondering if
> it's possible to add a domain to our DNS to make it NOT resolve?
> I know it's possible to set it to resolve to a bogus IP, but I'd like
> for it to give an NXDOMAIN rather than that. Is that possible?

Interesting idea!

An entirely empty zone would achieve most of that, consisting only of a SOA
record and possibly some NS records.

If you do this for the zone 'something.com', 'www.something.com' will get an
NXDOMAIN. However, a query for the A record of 'something.com' with get a
NOERROR with a SOA attached, which behaves almost like an NXDOMAIN in actual
effect.

To only blank out www.something.com, add a 'www.something.com' empty zone,
which would then get the NOERROR with the SOA attached.

Would this be good enough for you?

	Bert