[Pdns-users] Message Parser reports malformed message packet

Ramon Sierra ramon at hpcf.upr.edu
Fri May 27 14:04:44 UTC 2005

Hi:
      I am running pdns version 2.9.17-1 in my dns server and I got the
following message from the host command to an IP address  which is
serving an educational web hosting.

The machine serves several domains names virtually using the same IP
address.
The thing is that when I run
#host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx the following error appears
;; Warning: Message parser reports malformed message packet.
;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.
;; Warning: Message parser reports malformed message packet.

Followed by some, (not all) the domains that it was suppossed to
resolve  (to point).

The original problem is that there are too many domains to fit in an UDP
packet.  But I don't mind receiving the solution in a TCP packet.  My
problem is that because of that error, now I'm having problems trying to
access the machine by ssh and other services.

The problem dissapears if I delete domains to make the results to fit in
an UDP packet.  But that is not a long term solution.

Is this a normal problem?
Is there something I can do about it?

Thanks for your help,
JO