[Pdns-users] ldap/powerdns design

Ben Booble oneoutof100 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 4 02:30:09 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I Am thinking of moving from bind9 to powerdns.  But I first want to confirm
that what I propose to do will work.

Currently we have two gateway servers running split horizon dns masters.  We
are the authoritive host for several of our domains names with the ISP being
authoritive host for our main domain name.

I want to keep the gateways running external query dns resolvers in a dmz
but move the internal query dns resolver (a third machine) to the internal
network.  I want them all to access the ldap server for their different dns
information.

Are there any problems with the conceptual design of what I want to do?
>From the internal network, how do I resolve and public internet address
using powerdns?  What are the pros and cons of such a setup?  I am sorry I
am not that familiar with DNS but I am pretty ok with ldap.

here is the ldap tree, gleaned from bits and pieces in the archives:

dn: ou=Hosts,ou=System,dc=main
objectClass: organizationalUnit
objectClass: domainRelatedObject
ou: Hosts
associatedDomain: main.net.au

dn: ou=main,ou=Hosts,ou=System,dc=main
objectClass: organizationalUnit
objectClass: domainRelatedObject
ou: main
associatedDomain: main.net

dn: ou=secondary,ou=Hosts,ou=System,dc=main
objectClass: organizationalUnit
objectClass: domainRelatedObject
ou: secondary
associatedDomain: secondary.com

dn: ou=192.168.0,ou=main,ou=Hosts,ou=System,dc=main
objectClass: organizationalUnit
objectClass: domainRelatedObject
ou: 192.168.0
associatedDomain: main.net

dn: ou=192.168.0,ou=secondary,ou=Hosts,ou=System,dc=main
objectClass: organizationalUnit
objectClass: domainRelatedObject
ou: 192.168.0
associatedDomain: secondary.com

and plan to have host info under this structure.

Regards,

Ben