[Pdns-users] Feature request: Generic zone

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.net
Mon Jun 16 23:04:09 UTC 2003

Thus spake Jos? Luis Tall?n (jltallon at adv-solutions.net) [16/06/03 18:59]:
> >I'd like to second this request.  We have a number of zones that I'm
> >planning on making the case for moving to pdns, but if we need to updated
> >3,000 records whenever a change is made, it's a PITA.  It would be much
> >easier if we could either do something like a domain-wide CNAME (which is
> >either against the RFC or BCP), or have a field in the 'domains' table to
> >indicate that this zone is a mirror of another local zone.
>
> Please keep in mind that, since the backend is a DB, this change can be
> easily scripted.

But it's easier on the db and the scripter to do:

    UPDATE records SET content='172.23.18.21' WHERE name='virthost1.example.org';

as opposed to:

    UPDATE records SET content='172.23.18.21' WHERE content='192.168.18.212';

Plus, not to mention the case where maybe I don't want every IP address of
172.23.18.21 changed, I only want those tied to virthost1.example.org

> If this feature was indeed deemed necessary by the developers, however, it

I agree that this is further down on the Wish List than, say, DNSSEC,
Dynamic DNS, or other RFC-spec'ed things, but it'd still be nice to have.
And probably easier to code than DNSSEC.

(What's that you say?  Why don't I do it?  If I find the time, I just
might.)

  - Damian