[Pdns-users] Username/PW weirdness

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.net
Wed Jun 11 17:34:56 UTC 2003

Thus spake Gabriel Ambuehl (gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch) [11/06/03 13:24]:
> I'm encountering something very weird, essentially, pdns can't connect
> to the MySQL server anymore (2.9.8 built from ports on FreebSD 4.8):
>
> Jun 11 19:18:42 kappa pdns[74176]: Distributor caught fatal exception:
> Unable to
> launch gmysql connection: Unable to connect to database: Access denied
> for user: 'PASSWORD at localhost' (Using password: NO)
>

> launch=gmysql
> gmysql-host=127.0.0.1
> gmysql-user=pdns
> gmysql-dbname=pdns
> gmysql-password=PASSWORD
>
> Why in god's name is it trying to login with the password as username
> and no password at all?

I had exactly the same problem -- see the '2.9.4 -> 2.9.8 breakage' thread.
I resolved it by moving to PostgreSQL.

A workaround is to set gmysql-password to be the username, and don't require
a password for connection.

It is possible the FreeBSD is causing some strangeness within its ports
system.  I have yet to test that theory, though.