[Pdns-dev] Declaring native nameservers

Tonix (Antonio Nati) tonix at interazioni.it
Thu Jul 22 23:54:48 CEST 2010

Lorens Kockum ha scritto:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:29:39AM +0200, Tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:
>
>> We have a mixed configuration, in which we have replicated (native)
>> nameserver, and remote (slave) name servers.
>>
>> In order to semplify the usage, can be considered to add an option to
>> pdns.config, in which to declare which are native nameservers?
>> Such option would permit powerdns to send notify only to nameservers not
>> "native", both for master and native zones, avoiding useless notifies
>> exchanges and semplifying  usage.
>>

> Since replicated nameservers do not ask for AXFRs, might it be
> a good idea to 1) not have them in the list of clients allowed
> to AXFR (easy), and 2) never send notifies to clients that are
> not allowed to ask for AXFR (maybe that optimization already
> exists)?

What you suggest is already operational here, but this is what happens:

- two local master NS, with replicated MySQL
- one remote slave NS (only IP allowed to AXFR)

If domain is set to "native", no notify is sent to any NS.
If domain is set to "master", three notifies are sent to all NS. Of
course only remote NS will ask for AXFR. But we ask why sending three
notifies, when only one could be sent?

Regards,

Tonino

        Inter at zioni            Interazioni di Antonio Nati
   http://www.interazioni.it      tonix at interazioni.it