[Pdns-dev] PowerDNS recursor's forwarding capabilities?

Darren Gamble darren.gamble at sjrb.ca
Mon Nov 27 15:45:03 CET 2006

Good day,

We were looking at replacing some of our internal DNS caches with PowerDNS, but are having some problems with duplicating the existing servers' functionality.

These caches need to "forward" queries for certain domains to other servers.  In some cases, those servers are other caches, and so these new caches need to do a query with the recursive bit set.  In other cases, the other servers are part of an internal network of authoritative servers, and these new caches are instead expected to perform iterative queries to resolve the name.

This is possible with both djbdns (a patch is needed if you want both types at once) and BIND, but after going through the recursor man page, it looks like pdns-recursor can't do this.  It looks like it can only do iterative queries in this way, and even so, it's also limited to a single address per zone.

Can anyone confirm this, or, is there perhaps another option that can do this that we're missing?

Thanks!

Darren Gamble
Systems Architect, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP