[dnsdist] automatically forward query from the problematic domain

Affan Basalamah affanzbasalamah at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 13:26:29 UTC 2024

Hi,

I'm responsible for managing DNS server for service providers, and they
request that DNS server usually have some important domain from my country
ccTLD that usually can't be resolved because of the their authoritative DNS
was not reliable, and every user usually contacted the service provider,
and they ask us to forward these domains to public DNS resolver (google,
CF, etc)

Usually it become repetitive & menial effort from our side, and I wonder
how it's possible these logic can be achieved using DNSDist:

- DNSDist is installed in front of provider DNS server, and create default
pool for provider DNS server
- Create another pool for public DNS server (google, CF, Q9, etc)
- Can I create list of domain that usually problematic to be redirected to
the public DNS pool?
- Can I create rules for these domains to be forwarded to the public DNS
pool?
- Can I create health check for these rules to be activated (every 1 or 5
minutes, to check whether the authoritative DNS server for these domain is
still alive), and if the authoritative server is down, the rules is
activated, these domains is forwarded to public DNS pool
- After health check find out the authoritative DNS server is alive, the
rule is disabled, the domain is resolved via the provider DNS

Sorry because I don't completely understand the capability of DNSdist, but
I hope you can shed some light to me about this, and I hope DNSdist can
solve this kind of problem.

Regards,

--
-affan