[dnsdist] two upstreams linked with OR?

Jacob Bunk Nielsen jacob at bunknielsen.dk
Mon Feb 19 18:52:08 UTC 2024

Hi

RyB via dnsdist <dnsdist at mailman.powerdns.com> writes:

> I got a problem concerning having two upstream servers that do not have the same data. So I am looking for a solution to query always both of them but linked logically with an OR.
>
> for example:
> - query for one.example.com
>   - NS1 - NXDOMAIN
>   - NS2 - 10.0.0.10
>   - send 10.0.0.10 to the client

This issue is that NXDOMAIN is a perfectly valid response to a DNS
query, so what you want is not supported out of the box as far as I
know.

I guess you need to venture into writing your own custom logic in Lua if
you want this particular functionality.

Wouldn't it simply be easier to merge the zone into a single backend? Or
alternatively use separate zones on separate backends?

Best regards,
Jacob