[dnsdist] Dnsdist 1.8.x with eBPF rules on arm64, not working.

Fredrik Pettai pettai at sunet.se
Thu Sep 28 13:58:02 UTC 2023

Hi,

I’m trying to test eBPF filtering on a vanilla Ubuntu 22.04 jammy arm64 with the debian-based package of dnsdist 1.8 (https://packages.debian.org/trixie/dnsdist), but there is some kind issue then running on arm64. I’ve configured the system exactly the same as on an amd64 system that works fine (the ebpf rules hits and blocks), but no ebpf rule hits on the arm64 machine.

The basic configurations I’ve tested with are these ones: https://dnsdist.org/advanced/ebpf.html

(The dnsdist package is the same on both systems, as I’ve rebuilt it on launchpad, enabling it do build an arm64 version as well)

I would guess that ebpf at least partly works on arm64, as it complained during startup while allocation the resources for ebpf (then those things weren’t configured properly)

> The current limit of locked memory (soft: 65536, hard: 65536) is too low for eBPF, trying to raise it to 1048576
> Unable to raise the maximum amount of locked memory for eBPF from 65536 to 1048576, consider raising RLIMIT_MEMLOCK or setting LimitMEMLOCK in the systemd unit: Operation not permitted

What could I further do to debug the system to see why dnsdist ebpf rules won’t trigger then running on an arm64 platform?
I’ve created an GitHub issue here: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/13306

Re,
/P