[dnsdist] dnsdist 1.7.4 Debian Bullseye vs 1.8.4 Bullseye

Aleš Rygl ales at rygl.net
Mon Sep 25 14:01:57 UTC 2023

Hello,

     I would to kindly ask for help or and advice. I have just upgraded
one of our dnsdist instances from 1.7.4 do 1.8.4 together with OS
upgrade (Debian 11.7 to 12.1). Everything works fine, no issues observed
apart some deprecated config references. What is a big surprise to me is
CPU usage. The newer version has nearly two times higher CPU consumption
in userspace. I am nearly at 80% CPU with 16 physical cores (was about
40%). We have a lot of TLS (DoT) sessions (30k) and 60kqps in total (30k
via DoT) here. The latency measured by dnsdist went up also. We are
collecting all the metrics dnsdist produces via graphite so I can check
counters, what could be wrong.

     Thanks in advance

With best regards

Ales