[dnsdist] Dnsdist as high availability mode

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Mon Sep 11 08:16:17 UTC 2023

Hi!

On 10/09/2023 16:31, Affan Basalamah via dnsdist wrote:
> I want to know if it’s  possible to setup  dnsdist as two server and
> configured with first hop redundancy protocol such as VRRP (Keepalived
> on Linux, CARP on FreeBSD), so dnsdist can operate as highly available
> as possible, at least in fail over mode.
>
> If it’s possible, I haven’t seen the examples on the official dnsdist
> documentation. Can someone point me to any document or other references?

Yes, I know of a few setups that are using dnsdist with Keepalived.
There is nothing particular to do on dnsdist's side to make it work,
which is why it's not mentioned in the documentation.
We will of course accept pull requests updating the documentation if you
find out that some parts could use some words, though :)