[dnsdist] Compiling with DNS-over-QUIC on OpenSUSE - quiche not found

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Mon Oct 30 13:29:46 UTC 2023

Hi Oto!

On 30/10/2023 14:06, Oto Šťáva via dnsdist wrote:
> I wanted to do some testing with the new DNS-over-QUIC implementation in
> dnsdist on my OpenSUSE machine. Quite understandably, OpenSUSE does not
> ship alpha versions of dnsdist, so I opted to compile the new version
> from source.
>
> I looked through the code to find out dnsdist uses Cloudflare's Quiche,
> which is also missing from OpenSUSE's repositories, and they do not seem
> to provide any good way of installing it from source into the system.
> Dnsdist contains a 'builder-support/helpers/install_quiche.sh' script,
> which runs successfully (or at least never complains about anything),
> but when I run './configure.sh --enable-dns-over-quic', I get the
> following message:
>
> configure: error: DNS over QUIC support requested but quiche was not found
>
> Is there something I'm missing here? Is it just some strange behaviour
> on OpenSUSE's side?

I have not tried yet, but I guess that the directory in which our
install script installs the Quiche pkg-config module file
(/usr/lib/pkgconfig) is not in the default pkg-config path on openSUSE.
This is also the case on RH-based distributions where we had to add [1]
/usr/lib/pkgconfig to PKG_CONFIG_PATH for Quiche to be detected.

Can you try setting
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig at the end of
your configure line?

[1]:
https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/blob/master/builder-support/specs/dnsdist.spec#L108