[dnsdist] DOS configurations

Jahanzeb Arshad jahanzeb at nayatel.com
Wed Nov 29 04:21:55 UTC 2023

Hi Eric,

We are using following DOS protection configuration on dnsdist. We are
using it for our DNS resolvers, but you can change it as per your
requirement for authoritative servers.

This is a dynamic blocklist where we are protecting against very high
QPS from specific clients, or high rate for specific query types (like
ANY). You can also exclude certain IPs/networks from this blocklist.

-- Generate a warning if we detect a query rate above 100 qps for at
least 20s.
-- If the query rate raises above 300 qps for 20s, we'll block the
client for 60s.
-- If the NXD query rate increase above 20 for 20s block for 60s
-- If the ANY query rate increase above 20 for 20s block for 60s

local dbr = dynBlockRulesGroup()
dbr:setQueryRate(300, 20, "Exceeded query rate", 60, DNSAction.Drop, 100)
dbr:setRCodeRate(DNSRCode.NXDOMAIN, 20, 20, "Exceeded NXD rate", 60)
dbr:setRCodeRate(DNSRCode.SERVFAIL, 20, 20, "Exceeded ServFail rate", 60)
dbr:setQTypeRate(DNSQType.ANY, 20, 20, "Exceeded ANY rate", 60)
dbr:excludeRange({"192.168.48.0/24", "192.168.188.0/24"})

function maintenance()
dbr:apply()
end

Regards