[dnsdist] dnsdist[]: While reading a TCP question: accepting new connection on socket: Too many open files

Jacob Bunk Nielsen jacob at bunknielsen.dk
Thu Jul 27 04:58:36 UTC 2023

Fredrik Pettai <pettai at sunet.se> writes:
>> On 26 Jul 2023, at 13:50, Jacob Bunk Nielsen via dnsdist <dnsdist at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote:
>> Fredrik Pettai via dnsdist <dnsdist at mailman.powerdns.com> writes:
>>
>> Have you checked out dynamic blocks? If not, have a look at https://dnsdist.org/guides/dynblocks.html
>
> Yes, and we already have that in place.
> Still, the descriptors ran out, so I guess dnsdist didn’t manage block all the incoming bogus packets in time…

dnsdist still have to accept the query and decide to drop it, so it will
still use file descriptors for that.

> How many packets/s is dnsdist able to handle? Should dnsdist be able to handle 100K packets/s at peaks with the proper settings?

We have handled significantly much more than 100k QPS with a single
dnsdist instance in the past, so yes, that should definitely be
possible, depending on the hardware you run it on.

Best regards,
Jacob