[dnsdist] Log rotation problem debian-dnsdist 1.8.2

Joao Damas joao at apnic.net
Fri Dec 15 14:34:07 UTC 2023

Hi everyone.
We have been running dnsdist 1.6.x for some time and decided to, finally, upgrade, to 1.8.2
We run dnsdist on Debian 11 and it all works EXCEPT for log rotation.
I can see dnsdist producing log entries when issuing 'systemctl status’ for the services (we start the services with the dnsdist at .service unit file)
If I reboot the machine I can see dnsdist entries being written to the designated file in /var/log.
However come daily rotation time it no longer writes to the newly created file and no amount of restart/stop/start gets it back. Only a server reboot will get it to once again start writing to the correct log file.
I am guessing this is an interaction between dnsdist and systemd but nothing I have tried has worked to re-establish normal behaviour.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Joao