[dnsdist] Query current config of dynBlockRulesGroup

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Thu Aug 24 09:58:39 UTC 2023

Hi,

On 24/08/2023 11:47, Ben Kaplan via dnsdist wrote:
>  1. We're searching for how to query the current values of
>     dynBlockRulesGroup (using ebpf) via the console.
>     Once the rule kicks in we can see the IP blocked and the warning
>     message when running "showDynBlocks()".
>     However, we can't find any way to query for the actual values and
>     rules configured in "function maintenance()".

The dynBlockRulesGroup class has a 'toString' method which describes the
current configuration [1]. So if you have declared it with, for example:

dbr = dynBlockRulesGroup()
dbr:setRCodeRate(DNSRCode.NXDOMAIN, 5, 5, "Exceeded NXD rate", 60)

you can later retrieve the current configuration via:

 > dbr:toString()
Query rate rule:
Response rate rule:
SuffixMatch rule:
RCode rules:
- Non-Existent domain: Apply the global DynBlock action for 60 seconds
when over 5 during the last 5 seconds, reason: 'Exceeded NXD rate'
QType rules:
Excluded Subnets:
Excluded Domains:

>  2. When running "addDynBlocks(addresses, message[, seconds=10[,
>     action]])" from the console when dnsdist already has the same rule
>     configured. will this create a second rule or modify the value of
>     the existing rule?

Modify, unless the existing rule was still valid for a longer time than
the one you are trying to insert.

[1]: https://dnsdist.org/reference/config.html#DynBlockRulesGroup:toString