[dnsdist] Plans for dnsdist 1.4.0

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Thu Apr 4 10:07:28 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

Things have been quiet for a while on the dnsdist front, but we still
have been busy working on the next major version. dnsdist 1.4.0 will
bring a full rewrite of the TCP stack, making DNS over TCP and DNS over
TLS much more scalable, as well as an experimental implementation of DNS
over HTTPS.

We will merge the TCP rewrite pull request [1] in the next couple days.
We have done extensive testing of the new code but it's still a big
change, so if you are currently running master in production you might
want to refrain from upgrading blindly for a while. We will also take
this opportunity to remove a few functions that have been deprecated in
previous versions, and change the parameters to some others, so you
might have to update your configuration. We will of course provide an
upgrade guide listing the changes from 1.3.x to 1.4.0.

We intend on releasing 1.4.0-alpha1 next week, including the new TCP/DoT
stack, and then a new alpha a couple weeks later with DNS over HTTPS
support (based on [2]). Your feedback will be much appreciated so we can
deliver a stable 1.4.0 final release!

[1]: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/pull/7559
[2]: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/pull/6911